Discover more from Tierney's Real News
Twitter Files Part 1-2. The censorship is even worse than you thought! The question is - who or what is REALLY behind it?
As you know, Elon Musk asked two left-wing reporters, Matt Taibbi and Bari Weiss, to go through the Twitter files and report on what really went on at Twitter before he bought it. He told them that they could use the information in any way they wanted - they only had to first report their findings on Twitter. Other reporters wanted access to the files - but Elon said no. Taibbi & Weiss were given exclusive access.
Well, the first batch of files was released and there was no mention of the FBI or Jack Dorsey to everyone’s surprise.
Kash Patel and Miranda Devine and Paul Sperry all called out Elon and said that FBI guy Jim Baker (who was hired as head legal counsel in June 2020) was still at Twitter scrubbing files and keeping the truth from the public. Paul Sperry said Elon knew this way back in April 2022. They told Elon to wake up and get rid of Baker. Elon said he was unaware and fired Baker. THEN, Elon admitted that many of the files were indeed MISSING. Who decided what should be removed? The intelligence agencies?
THEN, Dorsey told Elon to release everything. Hmm. Even though the files implicated Jack.
THEN, Bari Weiss issued Part 2 of the Twitter files which proved Twitter blacklisted and shadow-banned conservative accounts and removed them for no reason and Jack was involved. Part 1 is below if you missed it.
This post is long so if your email cuts off go directly to my website at TierneyRealNewsNetwork.substack.com
Here’s Part 2 released yesterday:
THREAD: THE TWITTER FILES PART TWO. TWITTER’S SECRET BLACKLISTS.
1. A new #TwitterFiles investigation reveals that teams of Twitter employees build blacklists, prevent disfavored tweets from trending, and actively limit the visibility of entire accounts or even trending topics—all in secret, without informing users.
2. Twitter once had a mission “to give everyone the power to create and share ideas and information instantly, without barriers.” Along the way, barriers nevertheless were erected.
3. Take, for example, Stanford’s Dr. Jay Bhattacharya (@DrJBhattacharya) who argued that Covid lockdowns would harm children. Twitter secretly placed him on a “Trends Blacklist,” which prevented his tweets from trending.
4. Or consider the popular right-wing talk show host, Dan Bongino (@dbongino), who at one point was slapped with a “Search Blacklist.”
5. Twitter set the account of conservative activist Charlie Kirk (@charliekirk11) to “Do Not Amplify.”
6. Twitter denied that it does such things. In 2018, Twitter's Vijaya Gadde (then Head of Legal Policy and Trust) and Kayvon Beykpour (Head of Product) said: “We do not shadow ban.” They added: “And we certainly don’t shadow ban based on political viewpoints or ideology.”
7. What many people call “shadow banning,” Twitter executives and employees call “Visibility Filtering” or “VF.” Multiple high-level sources confirmed its meaning.
8. “Think about visibility filtering as being a way for us to suppress what people see to different levels. It’s a very powerful tool,” one senior Twitter employee told us.
9. “VF” refers to Twitter’s control over user visibility. It used VF to block searches of individual users; to limit the scope of a particular tweet’s discoverability; to block select users’ posts from ever appearing on the “trending” page; and from inclusion in hashtag searches.
10. All without users’ knowledge.
11. “We control visibility quite a bit. And we control the amplification of your content quite a bit. And normal people do not know how much we do,” one Twitter engineer told us. Two additional Twitter employees confirmed.
12. The group that decided whether to limit the reach of certain users was the Strategic Response Team - Global Escalation Team, or SRT-GET. It often handled up to 200 "cases" a day.
13. But there existed a level beyond official ticketing, beyond the rank-and-file moderators following the company’s policy on paper. That is the “Site Integrity Policy, Policy Escalation Support,” known as “SIP-PES.”
14. This secret group included Head of Legal, Policy, and Trust (Vijaya Gadde), the Global Head of Trust & Safety (Yoel Roth), subsequent CEOs Jack Dorsey and Parag Agrawal, and others.
15. This is where the biggest, most politically sensitive decisions got made. “Think high follower account, controversial,” another Twitter employee told us. For these “there would be no ticket or anything.”
16. One of the accounts that rose to this level of scrutiny was @libsoftiktok—an account that was on the “Trends Blacklist” and was designated as “Do Not Take Action on User Without Consulting With SIP-PES.”
17. The account—which Chaya Raichik began in November 2020 and now boasts over 1.4 million followers—was subjected to six suspensions in 2022 alone, Raichik says. Each time, Raichik was blocked from posting for as long as a week.
18. Twitter repeatedly informed Raichik that she had been suspended for violating Twitter’s policy against “hateful conduct.”
19. But in an internal SIP-PES memo from October 2022, after her seventh suspension, the committee acknowledged that “LTT has not directly engaged in behavior violative of the Hateful Conduct policy." See here:
20. The committee justified her suspensions internally by claiming her posts encouraged online harassment of “hospitals and medical providers” by insinuating “that gender-affirming healthcare is equivalent to child abuse or grooming.”
21. Compare this to what happened when Raichik herself was doxxed on November 21, 2022. A photo of her home with her address was posted in a tweet that has garnered more than 10,000 likes.
22. When Raichik told Twitter that her address had been disseminated she says Twitter Support responded with this message: "We reviewed the reported content, and didn't find it to be in violation of the Twitter rules." No action was taken. The doxxing tweet is still up.
23. In internal Slack messages, Twitter employees spoke of using technicalities to restrict the visibility of tweets and subjects. Here’s Yoel Roth, Twitter’s then Global Head of Trust & Safety, in a direct message to a colleague in early 2021:
24. Six days later, in a direct message with an employee on the Health, Misinformation, Privacy, and Identity research team, Roth requested more research to support expanding “non-removal policy interventions like disabling engagements and deamplification/visibility filtering.”
25. Roth wrote: “The hypothesis underlying much of what we’ve implemented is that if exposure to, e.g., misinformation directly causes harm, we should use remediations that reduce exposure, and limiting the spread/virality of content is a good way to do that.”
26. He added: “We got Jack on board with implementing this for civic integrity in the near term, but we’re going to need to make a more robust case to get this into our repertoire of policy remediations – especially for other policy domains.”
27. There is more to come on this story, which was reported by @abigailshrier @shellenbergermd @nelliebowles @isaacgrafstein and the team The Free Press @thefp. Keep up with this unfolding story here and at our brand new website:
28. The authors have broad and expanding access to Twitter’s files. The only condition we agreed to was that the material would first be published on Twitter.
29. We're just getting started on our reporting. Documents cannot tell the whole story here. A big thank you to everyone who has spoken to us so far. If you are a current or former Twitter employee, we'd love to hear from you. Please write to: email@example.com.
[pardon me but it seems odd that Musk is ONLY giving Taibbi & Weiss access to the files and this money making opportunity]
30. Watch @mtaibbi for the next installment.
BTW - Bari Weiss hates Trump. Just like Taibbi. Was she chosen for this reason or was she chosen because she used to work for the New York Times and can use this information to red pill liberals? You decide.
OK - so that’s the 2nd installment. Now I’m going to show you how people responded. I have some views about what the REAL reason is why this is being done - but I’m going to let you draw your own conclusions after you read these responses:
Elon said Twitter isn’t using Hillary & Google’s lawfirm - Perkins Coie - Kash said they are and proved it. Was Elon lying or does he just not know? You decide.
Sundance says that Twitter (and Elon) is being run by the Department of Homeland Security:
Andy Ngo says that the Twitter department that censors Americans is run by a guy who works for the CIA & FBI. Is he still in charge?
Elon mocking Truth Social here:
Elon saying Jack is innocent:
President Trump called out Twitter censorship in 2019!
Remember that Jack Dorsey’s boyfriend was DeRay McKesson - a Communist with Black Lives Matter - was DeRay the Communist actually running Twitter for the Feds while Jack played? Is Jack Dorsey a gay man scorned?
This is what Jack said before:
OK - so given all that - is Elon a white hat working to save America or does he have another agenda and is he being controlled by the FBI, CIA & DHS? You decide.
Will something happen with this information or will it be swept under the rug - and will we be told that everything is FIXED at Twitter - it’s time to forget about 2020 - and move on? You decide. Email me and give me your thoughts!
BTW - I was banned on FB yesterday for 3 days because of this post - which means it must be true! I believe that Griner was chosen and set up for this little exchange.
If you like my work, please donate to me by credit card here. Or you can send a check to Peggy Tierney, PO Box 242, Spooner, Wisconsin 54801. Or just send me a note or a card! I love hearing from you. Thank you to all who have donated in the past. I truly appreciate your generosity!
You can find all my current newsletters at my website at TierneyRealNewsNetwork.substack.com. You can always send me an email at TierneyRealNewsNetwork@substack.com. I try to respond to every request or question.
Please follow me on Telegram at t.me/TierneyRealNews. Follow me on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100079025148615. Or you can find me on Truth Social, GETTR, Parler, Gab and Instagram @MaggiePeggy123 and Twitter @MaggiePeggy1234.
Thanks again, and please share my newsletter and encourage your friends to subscribe! It’s free and always will be!